TRANSFER A UK PROPERTY
Property can be transferred to a beneficiary rather than being sold. You can complete the relevant paperwork and submit to Land Registry.
Update property records when someone dies (.gov)
If the property was in the sole name of the deceased and you are transferring the whole of the property the process is as follows:
1. Complete Form AP1 - download the PDF here: AP1
2. Complete Form AS1 - download the PDF here: AS1
If you do not have the property's title number you can search by address here (there is a fee of £3 for a Title Register):
If you do not know the local council you can find it here:
3. Photocopy the original Grant of Probate or Grant of Letters of Administration and write these words on the front:
'I certify this to be a true copy of the original' then add your name, signature and date.
4. Write a cheque for the appropriate fee (see below) made payable to 'Land Registry'.
SCALE 2 FEES (as at October 2017)
Value of property:
0 to £100,000 Fee = £40
£100,001 to £200,000 Fee = £60
£200,001 to £500,000 Fee = £80
£500,001 to £1,000,000 Fee = £120
£1,000,001 and over Fee = £250
5. Send both forms, the photocopied grant plus the appropriate fee to: