top of page

Who to Contact



As Personal Representative you can write to everyone you think should be notified of the deceased’s death.


Once you have set up your Master Physical File you should have details of everyone you need to contact.


This should include all asset and liability holders (those who hold money belonging to the deceased or those the deceased owed money to).


You do not need hundreds of different letters, you can vary all of our letters to your specific circumstances. Don’t be afraid to change them to suit you, particularly if you need extra information from any asset or liability holder.




There may be salary or wages outstanding to the deceased. Write to their employer asking for a final payslip up to date of death, including tax and NI deductions.


You should be able to find the employment details from a prior payslip.


The employer may ask for a copy of the grant before releasing any funds.




You may have completed details for the Tell Us Once service when you registered the death:


Tell Us Once


If not follow this link to any relevant government departments including HMRC.


Tax and Benefits After Death

Pension & state benefits should be claimed up to date of death. You must not claim any money after this date.




If the house was subject to a mortgage, contact the mortgage provider immediately to request details of the amount due at date of death. Find out if there is a mortgage protection policy or equivalent. Some mortgage companies may insist on payments being made until the property is sold.


You may already have contacted the insurance company but if not contact the buildings/contents insurance provider(s) by telephone to notify of the death and whether the property is now empty.


The insurance company may require certain utilities to remain active. There may be different insurers for the building and contents.


If the deceased lived in a rental property contact the landlord to request details of any outstanding rent or other liabilities (debts). You may need to remove the deceased’s documents and property for safekeeping so records are not lost and assets are protected. Ask if money is owed to or from the landlord and record as an asset or liability on the Master Financial Summary.



You are entitled to six months’ council tax free if the property is empty. After this you will be liable to pay council tax on any property still in the estate.

Contact the council with date of death if the property is now empty. Some councils let you do this online, see the notes on ‘Online Accounts’.

If not contact is usually easiest by telephone.

Find the Deceased Local Council




Contact all utility providers including phone, broadband, Sky or cable, mobile phone companies.

These accounts are often held online. See ‘Online Accounts’ for more information.

This is usually easiest done by telephone direct to each supplier.

British Gas



EDF Energy

Scottish Power - Q41





You should ask for all Standing Orders and Direct Debits to cease and for the bank to send details of the account balance at date of death.


You can also ask if they are holding any legal documents for the deceased, for example deeds for a house or share certificates.

You will also need details of any returned or ‘bounced’ cheques as these form part of the debts of the estate.




If there is any outstanding finance this will be recorded as a debt. Contact the relevant hire purchase or lease agreement holder to ascertain the final position at date of death.


Contact by telephone the car insurance provider as the car will not be insured to drive if the insurance is in the name of the deceased.




Write to ask for final statements including interest up to date of death, and if any security is held, for example a loan secured on a property.




Complete the form below and send to the address at the bottom of the form.


NS&I Notify Death



Ask for final details. Some pension companies may offer a goodwill gesture payment for part or all of the funeral costs. When you write to them ask if any further benefits are available.




Shareholdings are often recorded online. See 'Online Accounts'.

If you think shares may be held in a particular company try searching emails for the name. You can also search for 'Computershare' who deal with many shareholdings.


If the shares are listed on the US Stock Exchange rather than the UK Stock Exchange, you may need to apply for a Medallion Guarantee Stamp to release funds.


There is detailed guidance on the relevant page.




Write to anyone else you have details for in your Master Physical File or anyone else who contacts you after the death that you were unaware of.

If you have re-directed the mail you may find additional parties who should be written to. 

Write to these people as soon as you receive any correspondence.

If you need a letter for your particular circumstances let us know and we'll draft one.


Pre-Probate Asset Holder(s).docx


Pre-Probate Liability Holder(s).docx


Pre-Probate Employer.docx


NS&I Premium Bonds Enquiry.docx


Pre-Probate Liability Holder(s).docx


Pre-Probate Mortgage Holder.docx

bottom of page